Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Nrupaal Weds Anu

After landing in Ahmedabad, we immediately showered and dressed up for Nrupaal and Anu's wedding. In our saris, bangles, kurtas and suits, we took 60 cars to Nadiad, Anu's hometown and location of the ceremony. Although we were exhausted, we managed to dance and watch fireworks in the street before the wedding began.
The wedding decor was absolutely breathtaking. The ceremony was rich and colorful, and my family was delighted to welcome Anu. The traditions, from breaking the coconut to stealing our brother's shoes, were joyous and magnificent.The reception was the following night. Again everyone was dressed in their best. We congratulated Nrupaal and Anu, honored Anu's parent's anniversary and celebrated my Fia's birthday all in one night.
I saw people I haven't seen in 12 years. I saw my Baa (grandma) and couldn't hold back my tears. I greeted all my aunties and uncles, my cousins and the new additions to the family, and we reminisced about my childhood. I might not have recognized India when I arrived because of the constant developments, but I really did feel at home.

I love you all,
Sophia