Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year!

With all the hustle and bustle, it's nice to have a simple morning routine. We wake up early and spend almost an hour grazing over the Times of India with some masala chai and Gujarati biscuits. Even after the long train ride, we still chatted and joked early in the morning. My 5-year-old nephew, Jamnejay, has become an extension of Joe's arm. He calls Joe his best friend already.
We had a massive lunch of pav bhaji (bread and curry). It's hard to refuse seconds here. We went to a bookstore down the street. Anyone who knows me understands that I can spend an entire day just in one section.
We were still full from lunch, but we couldn't resist dinner. We went to Swati, a favorite restaurant of Rachana and Munjal. We ordered an array of Indian snacks, instead of ordering meals. My favorite was the paneer lifafa (rotee stuffed with paneer, mint chutney and red onions). Joe really enjoyed the sev puri (hollow cracker stuffed with spices, yogurt and vegetables). To combat our fiery mouths, we had fresh fruit ice cream.

We visited my Mama and Mami's place (uncle and aunt) and again, I couldn't help but cry when I saw my baa's old room (mom's mom). After being here for a week and a half, I don't understand how I waited 12 years to come back to Ahmedabad.

Exhausted, Joe and I had to fight our heavy eyelids to stay awake until the new year. While most of you were enjoying lunch, we watched Bollywood music videos and counted down to 2010.

Love,
Sophia